We are no strangers to the sounds of a noisy, gurgling coffee maker. Most of us let it slide because that’s just the cost of using a coffee machine! That doesn’t necessarily have to be the case! Let’s put the noise behind as we consider these quiet coffee makers that do their job without announcing it to the universe.
Top Quiet Coffee Makers To Consider In 2020
- Zojirushi Coffee Maker, 10 Cup
- Bonavita BV1900TS 8-Cup One-Touch Coffee Maker
- GEVI 12 Cup Coffee Machine
- Mr. Coffee TF6 5-Cup Switch Coffeemaker
- Breville-Nespresso Essenza Mini Espresso Machine
- BOSCARE programmable coffee maker
- BLACK+DECKER 5-Cup Coffeemaker
- GEVI 4 Cup Coffee Machine
Our Choice: GEVI 12 Cup Coffee Machine
Gevi 12 Cup Coffee Machine offers silent brewing and convenient use. This machine will brew up your coffee as you like it, when you want it, and do it without creating a fuss. It could perhaps work on its looks, but a good set of features at great value make it look better.
Reviews For The Best Quiet Coffee Makers
1. Zojirushi Coffee Maker, 10 Cup
Zojirushi’s 10 cup coffee maker is a capable machine that will whip up a full pot of great tasting coffee. To get to the ideal coffee, the coffee maker tries to hit a temperature of 200F. This is in the middle of the suggested brewing temperature range of 195-205 Fahrenheit.
Once water hits the right temperature, it’s transported to the filter basket with a permanent stainless steel mesh filter. While Zojirushi gets to the right brewing temperature, it’s worth noting that this isn’t an SCA-certified coffee maker. This machine uses a stainless steel carafe that keeps the coffee hot for a couple of hours.
The good part is that though the coffee maker gets to high water temperature, there are no water boiling noises or gurgling from this machine. Unfortunately, there is a sting in the tail here. As the reservoir starts emptying, the coffee maker gets noisier. Expect some noise when it reaches the last 1-2 cups in the reservoir.
- Removable 50 oz water reservoir
- Easy to access swing filter basket
- Pre-infusion cycle for better flavor extraction
- Option for an iced coffee (stronger brew)
- Time saver mode for a quicker brewing cycle
- Programmable timer (24 hours)
- Drip protection mechanism
- Pre-infusion and the right brewing temperature make a great cup of coffee
- Easy to operate and manage
- Feature-rich machine
- Always brews a full carafe
- Can get noisy towards the end of the brewing cycle
2. Bonavita BV1900TS 8-Cup One-Touch Coffee Maker
A well-regarded coffee maker, Bonavita BV1900TS 8-Cup One-Touch Coffee Maker excels in making a great brew and doing it right. Its operation is pretty silent and you won’t hear this one whistling like a train while your coffee brews. It does make some noise at the height of brewing, but it is short-lived and not overly disturbing.
Bonavita BV1900TS coffee maker uses a 1500W heater and tries to keep the brewing temperature in the range of 195-205 Fahrenheit. Hot water rises to the showerhead which uses a pour over coffee style to sprinkle it over the coffee. The machine’s flat-bottomed filter basket is designed to ensure good brewing.
- Simple operation – one touch button to switch the machine on/off
- 8 cup (44 oz) water reservoir
- Non-removable water reservoir
- Optional pre-infusion mode for brewing
- Non-stick warming plate with 40-minute auto shut-off
- SCA-certified brewer
- All plastic that comes in contact with water/coffee is BPA-free
- Easy to operate with single button operation
- Keeps water temperature in the optimal range for brewing
- Pour-over style brewing with options for pre-infusion
- No precise brew controls – brews whatever is in the reservoir
- Questionable longevity – several consumer complaints of the coffee maker breaking after a few months
3. GEVI 12 Cup Coffee Machine
Our top choice for this category is this simple and unassuming coffee maker. And the reason for its spot is that it brews coffee without making a sound. The appearance of this coffee maker is rather conventional – or rather, a dated look. This was the classic look a few years ago, but most manufacturers have moved to new looks. Its looks make me think of the Hamilton Beach BrewStation, not Gevi.
The good part is that it’s functionally excellent and does its job noiselessly. And let’s face it, the looks aren’t bad, though they could really use an update. This is a programmable coffee maker and you can set it to brew coffee at your desired time. The good part is that you’ll wake up on your schedule, not to the hissing and gurgling of the coffee maker.
- 24-hour programmable coffee maker
- Heating plate to keep your coffee warm
- 60 oz water reservoir
- Power: 900W
- Hot plate runs for 2 hours and has auto=off
- Excellent value for money
- Drip-free carafe
- Good brew quality
- New coffee maker can have strong plastic smell
4. Mr. Coffee TF6 5-Cup Switch Coffeemaker
One of the greatest qualities of Mr. Coffee machines is that they’re virtually silent. What you get from most machines is great coffee, without the noisy decibels announcing it to the world. Mr. Coffee TF6 5-Cup Switch Coffeemaker fits right into that category and makes a brilliant and enjoyable coffee.
It’s simple enough to operate, all you need to do is flick the switch. This is a straightforward coffee maker without a long list of features. However, it is a dependable machine known to brew coffee right. You don’t have to wait for the carafe to fill up with this coffee maker.
It includes a “pause ‘n serve” function which will stop coffee flow while you pour yourself a cuppa. As your coffee pours into the glass carafe, the included hot plate will keep it warm for a long time
- Simple to operate and use coffee maker
- Reservoir and carafe size is 30 oz
- Includes heating plate
- Good value
- Pause ‘n Serve tech makes it possible to brew a quick cup of joe
- Reliable coffee maker
- There is no auto-off function. If the coffee maker is on, the plate will continue to stay on
- Product model at the end of lifecycle
5. Breville-Nespresso Essenza Mini Espresso Machine
Generally speaking, a quiet espresso machine is a very rare commodity. Keeping the pump silent is a big problem and espresso makers usually can’t deal with that. So, our entry for this category is the modest Breville-Nespresso Essenza Mini Espresso Machine.
Nespresso Essenza Mini Espresso Machine makes a smashing cup of espresso with lovely aroma. It is generally suggested that the best pressure for brewing espresso is 9 bars. This machine goes all the way to 19 bars of pressure to brew coffee.
- Brews an excellent cup of espresso
- Two brew size options: espresso 1.5 oz, lungo 5 oz
- Programmable brew size makes it possible to customize brew size
- Power: 1100W to 1450W
- Reservoir: 20.29 oz
- Quick startup and fast delivery of coffee
- Needs Nespresso (or compatible) capsules
- Auto shut off
- Compact dimensions: 12.90 x 3.30 x 8 inches
- Good quality espresso
- Easily programmable brew size
- Serving time as fast as 25 seconds
- Auto shut-off after 9 minutes
- Only two brew sizes
6. BOSCARE Programmable Coffee Maker
BOSCARE programmable coffee maker is on this list because it brews an enjoyable cup of coffee quietly. Its looks and designs are quite generic, though it gets remarkable in other departments – most notably – quiet brewing.
The machine is simple to operate and doesn’t have any complex controls or mechanisms. To brew coffee, simply hit the “on” button and the machine will swing into action. Brew strength can be adjusted between “regular” and “bold” by pressing the “strength” button.
- Brew strength control (regular and bold)
- 24 hour programmable machine with delay brew function
- Non-stick warming plate
- Power: 900 Watts
- 2 hour auto shut-off
- 50 oz non-removable water reservoir
- Good value for money
- Easy to operate and program
- Brews good coffee
- No precise brew size control – will brew whatever is in the reservoir
7. BLACK+DECKER 5-Cup Coffeemaker
A workhorse from the famous brand, BLACK+DECKER 5-Cup Coffeemaker DCM600B is a no-fuss machine. It will have your coffee ready in a few minutes. The hot plate will keep the carafe warm for a long time so you always get a hot cuppa. Its only drawback is that it can get noisy. This coffee maker is not overly loud, but yeah, expect it to make some sounds.
- Simple to operate and straightforward machine
- Includes heating plate
- Reservoir and carafe size is 25 oz
- Easy to use coffee maker
- Makes good coffee
- Good value for money
- Can get noisy as the reservoir empties
- No auto shut-off
8. GEVI 4 Cup Coffee Machine
GEVI 4 Cup Coffee Machine is pretty similar to its larger 12 cup variant which also finds a place on this list. However, the smaller coffee maker is faster and has a better-looking design. It’s more modern in its appearance and characteristics. Your coffee will start flowing within 5 minutes and will flow into the carafe noiselessly.
- Very simple and convenient to operate
- Includes heating plate
- Power: 600 Watts
- Very easy, single-button operation
- Good value for money
- No auto shut-off
A Guide To Choosing A Quiet Coffee Maker
Which Is the Quietest Coffee Maker?
If you absolutely don’t want noise, the right coffee maker to choose is a manual coffee maker. You’ll have to put in slightly more effort than using an electric coffee maker, but a manual coffee maker will be quieter than any electric coffee maker.
A French Press or Aeropress, for example, are virtually silent. So if going noise-free is your primary criteria, the answer lies with picking a French Press or Aeropress.
Picking A Quiet Drip Coffee Maker
Picking a quiet drip coffee maker requires some research. It is rare for these machines to be obnoxiously loud, but they can get noisy. The noise could be as straightforward as coffee pouring into the carafe with a hissing noise. Or, it could be a more complex set where the heating process starts a hum and gets louder. No train whistles for a coffee maker!
Is There A Quiet Espresso Machine?
Espresso machines brew coffee under pressure of at least 9 bars. This often means the pressure is generated through a pump or steam. Both these methods will create noise. At the very least, as water under high-pressure flows through the spout, it can’t help but be noisy! There are other methods like rotation in the Nespresso VertuoLine, but even that can be noisy.
But manufacturers do try to get noise under control, which is why you see relatively quieter espresso machines. Don’t expect your espresso maker to be noiseless. But, you can realistically expect a good machine to have low noise.
Don’t Forget Machine Maintenance
In many cases, loud noises are caused by a lack of maintenance of the coffee machine. This could indicate that the machine is due a cleaning. For some coffee makers, the problem may arise if a screw comes loose or if attachments and accessories have been misplaced.
Wrapping It Up
Getting a quiet coffee maker that doesn’t whistle, blow, and create a ruckus is quite the blessing. Take a look at our recommendations of several high-quality machines on this list. Our top recommendation for a quiet drip coffee maker is the GEVI 12 Cup Coffee Machine.
If you want something of higher quality, consider the Zojirushi Coffee Maker. For a quiet espresso maker, Breville-Nespresso Essenza Mini Espresso Machine can be a good choice.