Yes, you love your Keurig coffee maker as it has been taking care of your coffee needs since some time now – but do you also know how to clean a Keurig 2.0 using the right methodologies? If not, no worries. We will walk you through the cleaning process.
Try The Healthiest, Tastiest Organic Coffee Ever!
Everyone loves a great cup of coffee right in the morning. For some, it is by far the greatest thing of their entire day. Many people make their own morning coffee at home. Some people prefer the old school manual coffee making, but it is not convenient and takes time.
A lot of people are using coffee makers these days as it has become increasingly easier to make a cup at home. Nowadays you do not need to get out of your house and buy a cup from a café. One can simply make a great cup at home without too much trouble.
The Love For Keurig Coffee Brewers
Keurig makes one of the best coffee makers globally. It has achieved a household reputation and many people use this every day to make coffee. It is known for its convenience and smart options.
There is one thing that needs to be taken care of – cleaning the Keurig! In case you are using one, the cleaning process needs a lot of attention. There is the descaling option too – but it is not exactly cleaning. In this read, we will tell you all about it.
All coffee makers need to be cleaned at least once a quarter or once every 6 months. This is mainly due to the clogging of molds, lime or bacteria. Also, like other kitchen utensils it is always good to keep them washed and cleaned properly, especially those items that are used regularly.
In case you are getting worried, try not to. This machine is one of the easiest when it comes to cleaning. There is not much required from the user. It just needs basic rinsing of removable parts. The main device cleaning is required after long intervals of time depending on the usage.
Cleaning the Keurig coffee maker
It is largely simple to clean a Keurig device. This is mainly due to its smart design and ease of assembling or disassembling of parts. There are not many parts that can be removed either, making it simple to use and maintain.
Plus, the company makes its own cleaning solution and the needle cleaning tool for an even more easy cleaning formula.
You will be able to learn the art of cleaning in no time if you follow instructions. Almost the entire process is doable and easy to remember. All accessories are easily available at supermarkets and online for the cleaning purpose.
The best part is, you do not need to buy too many over priced items to clean your coffee maker. This device is a great coffee maker and very easy to maintain or clean.
Water Reservoir Cleaning
One of the common Keurig troubleshoot elements is when the user comes across a display screen notification that reads, “Prime”. This flashes when the water reservoir needs cleaning or the needle is clogged. Cleaning the needle is described in detail later down below.
Try The Healthiest, Tastiest Organic Coffee Ever!
Basically, this message occurs when the device is not maintained properly and not cleaned in time. Once the reservoir becomes dirty, it needs to be cleaned properly until the machine is fit to be used again. You can clean this through the descaling option to clear all clogging.
The simple way to clean the reservoir is by removing it and washing it in the sink. Use fresh water and soap. Rinse thoroughly and leave the reservoir to dry out. You can use a dry cloth to wipe it too. Once it is dry put it back inside the brewer. Your device is ready for use.
After cleaning the reservoir, you will need to clean the water filter too. Simply remove the water filter after you removed the water reservoir. Wash it with fresh water in the sink and use soap if required.
Dry it out thoroughly and fit the clean filter back into the device. Replace the water reservoir and your machine is good to go.
Descaling a Keurig
The descaling process is a time taking task so better keep this in mind before starting to do this job. The reason one needs to descale Keurig is mainly because hard water causes lime to stick. You must have noticed other kitchen utensils facing the same problem.
Also, minerals accumulated in the coffee machine will cause your coffee taste weird. If descaling is not done in time, it may cause your coffee maker to fail completely.
It is advisable to descale your machine every two to three months for optimal performance if you use it regularly. Also, you need to descale when there is an alert message on the device.
It can be difficult to remember when you need to descale and for this precisely, most Keurig coffee makers have a reminder function. This way you know when the device requires cleaning and you get your coffee fresh and taste great!
In case your model does not have this, simply write it down on your calendar.
Different Ways To Descale
Before starting the descaling process, remove any k-cups from the coffee machine. You can remove the funnel and cup holder as well. If you leave them inside, they will prevent any spills and also let the cleaning agent into the exit spout directly.
After this, remove the water reservoir and place it in the sink to wash. Switch off the auto-shut feature as the machine will need to stay on during the whole process. The device is ready for descaling.
There are a few ways to descale the coffee maker. One is the slightly expensive but the best way to descale the device. Others are pretty cheap and doable but may not give out the best results in terms of descaling. It is up to the user to decide which method to opt for.
Using Keurig Solution for Descaling
The recommended solution by Keurig for their coffee makers is the Keurig Descaling Solution Brewer Cleaner. This is a cleaning solution that can be used for all models as well as other kitchen items like kettles and is easily available at your nearby store or Amazon.
- Once you are ready to descale, fill the water reservoir half with water and half with the solution.
- Then place a mug in the machine underneath the dispenser. A large mug is better for this.
- Now brew 1 hot water cup and let it out into the mug. Then lift handle and wait for five seconds. Lower the handle now. After this press ‘brew’ and empty the cup once it is fully filled.
- Repeat this step till all of the water has finished. As soon as ‘add water’ warning flashes, wait for 30 minutes. The machine should stay on during this step.
- The solution will be acting inside to clean up any clogged particles during the time as it is switched on.
- Now wash the reservoir thoroughly so no solution is left in it. Then refill with cool water and clean the machine using this water.
- Use the brew method again to make sure there is no solution is left inside. Repeat this step several times until you are sure there is no solution inside. By doing this, it will be certain that you do not get that solution smell in your coffee.
- Your device is descaled and ready to use. Make sure the taste of the coffee is perfect – if not, you may want to brew only the water cycle a couple of times.
Using Vinegar and Water
Vinegar is an excellent thing to clean up your coffee machine. It is cheaper and a home remedy that always cleans well. The best thing about vinegar is that it is safe to consume. It is also acidic and helps to breakdown the scale in the machine.
This is the same minerals that collect inside due to calcium in water. Make sure you use distilled white vinegar as pure vinegar might be too strong and ruin the machine. This method works well especially since vinegar is found in every household and in case you are unable to find any other cleaning agent.
- Dump all water that maybe inside the reservoir. Remove any pods left behind.
- Remove all parts of your coffee maker and clean them and rinse them (pod, drip tray, reservoir, etc).
- Then take a clean damp cloth and wipe any residue or dirt properly including the pod housing, where coffee gets stuck sometimes. Assemble all parts back together.
- Switch on the device and pour the vinegar into the reservoir up to the max fill mark.
- After this brew as you would brew coffee. Place a large mug in the tray and lift the handle. Then select large brew cycle and lower handle without inserting any pod.
- Start the brewing. When mug gets full, discard it and repeat this step until there is no solution or impurities left inside.
- Make sure there is no vinegar left in the coffee maker. If needed, repeat the previous steps to have a clean inside and check thoroughly.
- Now fill the water reservoir with filtered water and run a few cycles so that no vinegar is left inside the machine. Also, rinse the reservoir properly by removing it.
- You have your coffee maker ready to use with clean parts and optimal performance.
One of the better products in this line of category is the Heinz White Vinegar that will do the job well for you
Using Citric Acid
Citric acid mixed with water is another great way to descale a Keurig machine. Citric acid is a common kitchen item and can be easily bought from any supermarket. It is also known as sour soda. This is also a home remedy kind of a method and works quite well.
- Take 2 table spoons of citric acid and mix it into 1 litre of water. Now stir the solution till it is mixed completely.
- Pour this into the reservoir and leave it for some time. This will descale any residue or lime build up inside.
- Place a big mug in the tray so there are no spills. Now brew a cup. The acid will dissolve any residue inside the machine properly. Once the mug is filled, discard it into the sink.
- Pour out the water and then brew a new one. Keep doing this step until you see the machine is properly cleaned out.
- After this, fill the water reservoir with fresh cool water. Put the reservoir inside the machine and flush the water out. Repeat this couple times and make sure there is no acid left inside. A proper clean machine will give out the best coffee aroma so you have to have a clean inside of your coffee maker always.
- Now brew a cup of hot water to clean anything left inside – residue or citric acid. Brew a few cups until you see the mug is getting only clean water out. Then rinse the mug and clean the machine with a cloth.
- Brew a cup of coffee and taste it. In case you feel it needs cleaning, simply brew a hot water cycle a few times.
- You are ready to serve coffee.
Summary of Descaling Methods
The HEINZ white vinegar is a good option for the vinegar method and cheap at under $3, yet works wonders. You may use other brands as well depending on your preference.
Also, comparing the Keurig descaling solution with vinegar is not at all appropriate as the former is specially designed for cleaning these machines. However, vinegar is still a decent cleaning solution and gives good results if cleaning is done properly.
Outof the cleaning methods mentioned above, the Keurig descaling solution is the best bet, but at a price. It cleans the machine and also clears any odours left after some time of use. The coffee that comes out will be very fresh without any strange odours. The flavour will be the best with this as well.
Choosing this method is by far the best choice as you will always like your coffee first thing in the morning tasting very strong and fresh! Staunch coffee lovers should definitely go for this method as it will give the results they need while dishing out a few dollars extra.
Also, using this solution will increase the life of your coffee maker. Since this is the company made solution, the performance is best. Even the warranty will be active as you are only using the company specified cleaning way. So you will be actually saving rather than spending more eventually.
Cleaning the Keurig Device Needle
The needle is a vital part of a coffee maker. It is the main thing that makes ground coffee into properly brewed coffee that we drink. So for best tasting coffee, it is very important for you to know how to clean Keurig 2.0 needle so that your machine can work at optimum performance.
When there is clogging of coffee grounds or residue in the needles of the Keurig coffee maker, it needs to be cleaned properly and precisely. Care must be taken to make sure not to cause any damage to the needle as it is a sensitive piece of equipment.
Unlike other coffee makers, this particular model has its own cleaning tool. This is a great thing as it an entirely effortless job and the machine basically clears the needles through the tool. There is a basic, simple way on how to clean a Keurig 2.0 needle:
- First of all, unplug your coffee machine.
- Remove the water reservoir.
- Press the sides of the pack holder and remove it gently from the brewer.
- Now remove the pack holder from the housing by pressing the buttons on sides.
- Use a paperclip to clean and clear any clogging or residue stuck on the needles before rinsing it. The company recommends this step so better do it with care.
- Your coffee maker is cleared of clogging of needles and ready for use.
Cleaning Needles With Cleaning Tool
You can clean your Keurig coffee maker clogged needle with the cleaning tool it came with, or you can even buy it separately for under $5.
You just need to follow these steps:
- Unplug your coffee machine and remove water reservoir.
- Simply place this accessory in your machine with water and pump the lid few times.
- Rinse it once you have used the accessory to clear the needles and store it for next use. You will be surprised by the effectiveness of this tool.
- Now rinse the coffee maker with water and it is ready to use.
Cleaning Top Exit and Entrance Needles
In order to clean the entrance and exit needs, here is what you need to do:
- Unplug the device.
- Open the handle and remove the pack holder. You will find 1 top exit needle and 1 entrance needle.
- Using a paper clip, clean them with care. The needles are sharp, so be careful.
- After cleaning them thoroughly including holes, place the pack holder back in the brewer.
- Fill the reservoir with filtered water to the max fill label.
- Run a cleansing brew. Empty the mug into the sink. Your needles are now cleaned.
- Repeat these steps a few times for optimal performance.
Cleaning of Diffuser
One of the easier machine components to clean, you can clean the diffuser by:
- Unplug the coffee maker.
- Raise the handle up and remove the diffuser found on the top of the brewer.
- Clean it with a cloth properly.
- Rinse it with fresh water in the sink.
- Replace it in the device.
Cleaning the K-Cup Holder
We all love our K-cups, don’t we? However, prolonged usage of k-cups does require you to clean the k-cup holder as well.
For this, you need to follow these instructions:
- Unplug the brewer.
- Raise the handle up. Remove the k-cup holder.
- Wash it with fresh and warm water. Use soap as well.
- Rinse it thoroughly so there is no soap left inside.
- Dry it out properly. Leave it to dry out for better performance.
- Replace the holder into the device.
- Cup holder is clean and device is ready for use.
Cleaning the Exterior of Your Keurig Coffee Maker
Over the time, your coffee maker might have dust components on it’s body exterior that you might want to clean up.
Here is what you can do:
- Unplug the device.
- Remove the water reservoir and drip tray.
- Take a clean cloth and wipe the coffee maker. You can use a damp cloth too.
- Now clean the body with a dry cloth.
- The coffee machine is cleaned.
Cleaning the Lid, Funnel and Tray
To do this, just follow these steps:
- Remove the lid, drip tray and funnel.
- Wash the lid and tray with fresh water and soap. Rinse thoroughly.
- Wash the funnel carefully with water. Rinse thoroughly.
- Dry out all the parts properly.
- Replace the lid, tray and funnel in the device. All parts are cleaned.
When To Clean Keurig Parts
As coffee makers like any other machine need maintenance, it is also important to know when to clean each part or the complete thing. Mostly, you will find that only some parts need to be cleaned regularly, giving you great convenience.
On Weekly Basis
The removable parts should be cleaned on a weekly basis if not more than once a week. It is pretty easy and practical too. Taking out reservoir and drip tray with lid is not at all difficult to wash after use.
- First, take the machine plug out.
- Remove the water reservoir, drip tray, k-cup holder and lid.
- Now rinse the tray and cup holder with soap and water.
- Using a damp cloth, clean the water reservoir, lid and filter. You may use a soapy cloth too if required and clean the parts.
- Now wash the reservoir and the lid. Let them dry out on their own, do not use a cloth as it will leave lint.
- Clean your coffee maker from the outside with a damp clean cloth or sponge.
- Assemble all the parts back together and plug in your device for use.
After One Month
To get fresh coffee cup after cup, make sure to replace the water filter cartridge on a monthly basis. This way you will get your coffee tasting fresh and great always. Follow these steps to replace the cartridge:
- Soak a new cartridge in water for 5 minutes. Now rinse it for like a minute.
- Now wash the lower filter mesh properly.
- Then insert the cartridge into upper filter holder. Put the lid on.
- Afterwards place it back into the reservoir and lock it. Cartridge is replaced.
After 3 to 6 Months
Descaling is the key thing that needs to be done every 3 to a six month period of time. This is because the scale builds up far beyond you think as bacteria, lime and other water impurities will keep clogging inside the machine.
If descaling is not done within this period, it will cause the device to malfunction and eventually ruin your coffee maker completely.
Here is a simple brief descale guide:
- Fill the water reservoir with any of the abovementioned solutions as cleaning agents. You can fill it up to 10 ounces or the mark labelled on the reservoir.
- Now start the brew without a k-cup inside and keep running the machine. Place a large mug in the tray for the discard.
- Repeat this step a couple of times to make sure the inside of device is properly cleaned and good to be used to make coffee.
- After wards, fill the reservoir with fresh water and repeat the step so as to flush out any solution left inside the maker.
- In the end, rinse the water reservoir with water and let it dry out in the air. Later, place it back in and your Keurig is ready to make that great coffee over and over!
On a daily basis, keep a check on your coffee maker as well. For instance, if there is coffee residue left after a brew, make sure to clean up k-cup holder there and then so as the residue does not become hard – which is quite difficult to remove later.
When you are using your Keurig machine and face trouble brewing coffee – it can be that coffee grounds are stuck in the needle. This in turn effects the coffee maker and you may not be able to get coffee made properly. If this happens, you need to clean your needle.
Final Thoughts on Cleaning Your Keurig 2.0 Coffee Maker
Owning a Keurig coffee maker is a great addition to your kitchen. It is a good device that makes back to back serious great tasting coffee. It is very practical as it requires seldom attention to maintenance and is very simple to use.
Cleaning a Keurig coffee maker is also relatively easy and does not take ages. It is by far the most convenient coffee makers around, hence it is loved by so many people. The above mentioned cleaning and descaling tips are convenient and doable without too much hassle.
However, if you do not know how to clean your Keurig 2.0 and you are not able to get the basics right, it can create some sort of problems for you.
Once you get the hang of it and have adequate knowledge and practice cleaning your coffee maker, you can certainly have that amazing coffee experience every single time!