A removable reservoir is a small, almost inconspicuous feature. However, it’s an important quality of life change. It’s remarkable how small things make a big difference in how well a machine performs. A removable reservoir simply makes general use and maintenance of a machine easier.
Try The Healthiest, Tastiest Organic Coffee Ever!
A coffee maker with removable water reservoir is easier to fill, empty, and clean. While we may not always consider the water reservoir being removable as a priority, it shows its benefits in use.
2020’s Best Removable Reservoir Coffee Makers
- Ninja Hot and Cold Brewed System
- Zojirushi Coffee Maker, 10 Cup
- Cuisinart DCC-3000
- Hamilton Beach 10-Cup Coffee Maker, Programmable BrewStation
- Zojirushi EC-DAC50 Zutto 5-Cup Drip Coffeemaker
- Keurig C K-Elite Coffee Maker
- Ninja 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker
- CHULUX Single Serve Coffee Maker
- KitchenAid KCM1208DG Spiral Showerhead 12 Cup Drip Coffee Maker
Editor’s Choice: Cuisinart DCC-3000
Cuisinart DCC-3000 is an excellent coffee maker with some very interesting functions. Apart from being a coffee maker with a removable reservoir, this 12-cup coffee maker doesn’t use an external carafe.
The dispensing coffee maker has a built-in carafe and delivers coffee on demand. The fuel meter-style gauge you see on the machine represents the volume of coffee available in the carafe.
Reviews: Top Coffee Makers With Removable Water Reservoir
1. Ninja Hot and Cold Brewed System
Ninja Hot and Cold Brewed System is a popular and well-regarded coffee maker. A big reason for the popularity of this machine is the inclusion of several small features that make it a pleasure to use. Of course, the machine also brews great coffee and is capable of keeping water temperature and brew strength well in control.
There are six brew sizes available, going from a cup of coffee to a full 50 oz carafe. You also get to choose from five brew modes and pick brew strength. This includes cold brew and over ice functions.
Ninja Hot and Cold Brewed System includes two separate baskets for coffee and tea. The system automatically recognizes the inserted basket and brews your beverage to meet expectations. Other features include a programmable timer that can be set to brew coffee up to 24 hours in advance.
- Easy to use, feature-rich machine
- 50 oz removable water reservoir
- Separate brew baskets for coffee and tea
- Programmable coffee maker
- Six brew size options, from a single cup to full 50 oz carafe
- Five brew style options
- Ninja Auto iQ technology for managing brew volume and temperature
- The auto-clean function can get annoyingly overzealous
- Water temperature can go lower than recommended 195-205 F
2. Zojirushi Coffee Maker, 10 Cup
A seemingly simple and straightforward machine, Zojirushi’s 10 Cup Coffee Maker manages to have an interesting list of features. Though this isn’t an SCA-certified coffee maker, it is quite capable of brewing coffee to the golden cup standard.
The coffee brewing temperature for this machine is 200F, which falls squarely in the range of the recommended 195-205 degrees Fahrenheit. The bigger challenge is maintaining the said temperature as the coffee brews, and I believe the Zojirushi 10 cup coffee maker is successful in that category as well.
Features available include a quick-brew mode and 24-hour programmable coffee maker. This is a quiet coffee maker that brews coffee without getting very noisy. A drip-prevention mechanism keeps the coffee maker from creating a mess in case the carafe is removed during the brewing process. Other notable features include a permanent stainless steel filter, over-ice brewing mode, and a pre-infusion cycle that allows coffee grounds to bloom.
Try The Healthiest, Tastiest Organic Coffee Ever!
Zojirushi Coffee Maker has a removable, 50 oz water reservoir. It takes about 10 minutes to brew a full carafe. This model has a very stylish thermal carafe. I wish the controls were more modern in design, but that’s a small problem and easily ignored considering the usability of this coffee maker.
- Convenient and easy to use machine
- Programmable coffee maker
- Remarkably quiet in use
- Pre-infusion cycle for better flavor extraction
- Feature-rich machine
- No brew size selection – brews the full reservoir
- Coffee on time saver mode feels weak and cold
3. Cuisinart DCC-3000
Cuisinart DCC-3000 is our editor’s choice for this category. The convenient and ergonomic coffee maker is easy to use and maintain. The defining feature of this coffee maker is that it has no carafe. Or rather, it has an internal carafe where it stores brewed coffee rather than pouring it into an external carafe.
The internal carafe has double walls for insulation to keep the brewed coffee hot. The prominent analog gauge on the face of the machine lets you know the amount of coffee available. It’s not very accurate, but it’s useful for getting a broad idea. To get a cup of coffee, just hit the actuator and the coffee maker will start pouring.
Cuisinart DCC-3000 is a 12 cup coffee maker with a 60oz removable water reservoir. A charcoal water filter is placed at the bottom of the reservoir and acts as a way to remove any sediments or dissolved gases in the water.
While it can conveniently brew a 12 cup carafe, it is also possible to brew a small batch of 1-4 cups. Other features of the Cuisinart DCC-3000 include an auto-clean function and programmable timer.
- Convenient and easy to use coffee machine
- Removable 60oz water reservoir
- Good value for money
- Well-placed actuator to dispense coffee
- The coffee volume meter is unreliable
- Built-in carafe can require a fair amount of work to clean
4. Hamilton Beach 10-Cup Coffee Maker, Programmable BrewStation
Just like the Cuisinart DCC-3000, Hamilton Beach BrewStation is a no-carafe coffee maker. This one too holds brewed coffee in an internal pot. However, the pot with this coffee maker is not insulated. Instead, Hamilton Beach has added a heater to keep the coffee hot and at the right temperature. An actuator is placed at the front to dispense coffee on demand.
Apart from this feature, this is pretty much a standard 10-cup coffee maker. The 10-cup removable water reservoir is easy to use and maintain. Hamilton Beach (47380) 10-Cup Coffee Maker, Programmable BrewStation is a programmable coffee maker. You can set it to brew coffee automatically at a set time up to 24 hours in advance.
- Internal carafe coffee maker, doesn’t need an external carafe
- Included heater can keep brewed coffee hot for up to 2 hours
- Auto-shutoff after 2 hours
- Removable 10-cup coffee maker
- Easy to use actuator
- Good value for money
- Could use a better-quality build
- Questionable longevity
5. Zojirushi EC-DAC50 Zutto 5-Cup Drip Coffeemaker
A small and compact machine, Zojirushi EC-DAC50 Zutto 5-Cup Drip Coffeemaker is a great pick. As part of a clever design choice, the coffee maker looks pretty much wrapped up and the water reservoir is not clearly visible. However, the reservoir remains easily accessible and removable.
Zojirushi EC-DAC50 Zutto 5-Cup Drip Coffeemaker uses a charcoal water filter to ensure a better-quality brew. According to the company, the water filter can last for two years in regular use. It’s a pretty simple coffee maker – you hit a button, and it gets brewing the full water reservoir.
Interestingly, the coffee brewing process happens in the carafe. The machine simply dispenses hot water. The filter basket is part of the carafe! Theoretically, it could be used as an automatic pour-over coffee maker, but I think the water dispensing isn’t as delicate. However, there are always ways to tinker around and get the job done!
- Sleek and compact coffee maker
- Very easy to operate
- Removable 5 cup water reservoir
- Filter cone/basket is inside carafe/decanter, making replacements very specific
- Has a showerhead design, but the dispensed water sticks to the middle
6. Keurig C K-Elite Coffee Maker
Nobody knows their way around user convenience and ease of use like Keurig does. So it makes complete sense for the company to make use of removable water reservoirs in many of its models. The pick here is Keurig C K-Elite, a remarkable single-serve coffee maker with a large 75 oz removable water reservoir.
Keurig C K-Elite remains easy to use and has brew size options at 4, 6, 8, 10, 12oz. The brew time is quick and your coffee will be ready in less than a minute. It’s an easy to use machine, and all you have to do is place your choice of K cup and hit the brew button.
Given the large water reservoir, the coffee maker doesn’t need constant refilling. Other notable features for this coffee maker include an over-ice function and hot water on demand.
- Very easy to use single-serve coffee maker
- Several brew size options
- Large 75 oz removable water reservoir
- Feature-rich coffee maker
- Adjustable temperature option
- Somewhat expensive in terms of value for money
- Can get very noisy
7. Ninja 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker
Ninja 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker is one of the most remarkable drip coffee makers available in the market. The coffee maker is easy to use and has great features that have kept it the favorite amongst consumers for a long time. It uses a 60oz, convenient to carry and removable water reservoir.
While this is a 12 cup coffee maker, you can use it to brew small batches. You can set it to brew a small batch (up to four cups) of coffee. It’s also possible to remove the carafe mid-brewing and pour yourself a quick cup rather than wait for the whole carafe to fill up. When the carafe is removed, a drip-stop function kicks in to stop the machine from making a mess.
Ninja 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker includes an auto-clean function, programmable brewing, and brew strength adjustment. The machine comes with a permanent gold-tone filter.
- Convenient coffee maker with several features and options
- Easy to carry removable water reservoir
- Excellent value for money
- Brews a full 12 cup or small batches (1-4 cups)
- Includes two brew styles (classic and rich)
- Has a larger footprint on the counter compared to similar products
- The carafe lid has a habit of getting stuck and being difficult to maneuver
8. CHULUX Single Serve Coffee Maker
CHULUX Single Serve Coffee Maker is convenient to use and makes great coffee. Don’t be taken in by its seemingly small looks – this is a big machine with a removable 100 oz water reservoir. It has the biggest volume amongst the coffee makers with removable water tank included on this list.
The machine is compatible with K cups. It also follows the theory of being convenient to use, and has an easy, single-button operation. Chulux single-serve will deliver your coffee in three minutes. It’s fairly quick by coffee machine standards, but slow where conventional single-serves are concerned. Keurig, for example, usually delivers the coffee in less than a minute.
- Large 100 oz removable water reservoir
- Very easy to use
- Easy to clean
- Can be slow as compared to conventional single-serve coffee makers
9. KitchenAid KCM1208DG Spiral Showerhead 12 Cup Drip Coffee Maker
KitchenAid is one of the oldest and trusted brands for home appliances. Their coffee makers still have good quality and performance to offer. KitchenAid KCM1208DG Spiral Showerhead 12 Cup Drip Coffee Maker offers great value and features.
One particularly interesting feature is the presence of two brew buttons. The buttons are placed at the side and front, giving you more freedom to place the coffee maker on the countertop. Since the buttons remain accessible, you have more options on placing the coffee maker.
Other features include a programmable auto-brew function, reusable gold-tone filter, brew-strength adjustment, and auto-clean function.
- Good value for money
- Two brew buttons
- 24-hour programmable coffee maker
- Brew-strength adjustment (regular and bold)
- Control panel buttons could be better placed and more prominent
Pointers For A Removable Water Reservoir For Your Coffee Maker
Removable Reservoirs Are Convenient And Easier To Clean
A very obvious use is that rather than taking a pitcher and refilling the reservoir, you can directly take the reservoir and fill it up. This saves effort and reduces the chances of spilling water.
More importantly, the reservoirs are easy to clean. Most removable reservoirs are dishwasher safe and can be cleaned regularly. Plus, with a removable reservoir, you don’t have to wait for descaling/cleaning coffee maker to clean the reservoir. It can get a simple or thorough cleaning any time you choose.
Water Capacity For Your Coffee Machine
As with any other coffee machine, choosing the right capacity is important. No point in using a single-serve when you need a full pot to serve 12 cups! The reservoir, of course, functions as the key to coffee capacity.
Most machines have a reservoir to match the carafe volume. For some machines, the reservoir can be larger than the carafe or serving size. Since coffee makers connected to water line are rarely used in homes, it makes sense to pick an adequate size for the reservoir. Obviously, no one wants to fill a coffee maker every time a cup needs to be brewed!
Our Recommendation And Conclusion For Removable Water Reservoirs
Coffee makers with removable water reservoir are very popular and sensible options. They make general use and maintenance of the coffee makers easier. While seemingly insignificant, they can bring a remarkable quality of life change, as related to the coffee maker.